This week’s post may be going up a day late, but it’s definitely worth the wait… I have “road tested” these songs (in other words, “listened to them in the car”) and I think it’s the best playlist yet!
I hope everybody has been enjoying these playlists so far. I’ve had a good time putting them together. There’s just something kind of retro about putting together an hour’s worth of music (almost like a mix tape or CD) and sharing it so other people can hear.
Featured Artist Of The Week: St. Vincent
I’ll admit that I didn’t immediately get into the music of St. Vincent (also known as Annie Clark). I had people telling me about her stuff for years before I gave it a proper listen, but to be honest, I wish I had discovered her sooner. Her last album, Strange Mercy was one of my favorite releases of 2o11. In 2012, she collaborated with David Byrne on an amazing album, Love This Giant.
Now, she’s back with her fourth studio album (the self-titled St. Vincent) and I think it might be her best work yet.
The Weekly Dose 03-04-14
This week’s playlist includes two songs from the new St. Vincent album (the frenetic “Birth In Reverse” and the slower album-ending track “Severed Crossed Fingers”). In addition, you’ll find 15 more songs by The Dandy Warhols (one of my top 100 songs of the 00’s), XTC, new Bombay Bicycle Club, Jellyfish (one of my favorite 90’s bands), Beck (whose new album features two ex-members of Jellyfish: Roger Joseph Manning, Jr. and Jason Falkner), Karen O’s Academy Award nominated “The Moon Song” … and many more!
1. The Dandy Warhols – Bohemian Like You
2. St. Vincent – Birth In Reverse
3. Fujiya & Miyagi – Sixteen Shades Of Black And Blue
4. Vacationer – Good As New
5. My Morning Jacket – Holding On To Black Metal
6. The Clientele – Since K Got Over Me
7. Architecture In Helsinki – Heart It Races (Yacht Remix)
8. St. Vincent – Severed Crossed Fingers
9. XTC – The Ballad Of Peter Pumpkinhead
10. Beck – Blackbird Chain
11. The Black Angels – Don’t Play With Guns
12. Jellyfish – Bedspring Kiss
13. Nada Surf – Whose Authority
14. CSS – Hits Me Like A Rock
15. The Zutons – It’s The Little Things We Do
16. Karen O f. Ezra Koenig – The Moon Song
17. Bombay Bicycle Club – Overdone
I wish I had time to write about every one of these artists and songs. In addition to the ones I listed above, there are so many goods ones here… The Clientele, The Zutons (who most people know because they wrote “Valerie” which was covered by Amy Winehouse). I’ll have to feature each of these artists in a future playlist!