It’s hard to believe, but it’s been twenty years since Beck Hansen first hit the airwaves. His single “Loser” was an instant hit, and it sounded like nothing else on the radio at the time. Now, all these years later, Beck is getting ready to release his 12th (!) studio album, Morning Phase, and his first in six years.
I can’t lie. I’m a huge fan. In the 90’s, I was a Beck completist, buying every CD, CD single (with several unreleased bonus tracks on each), vinyl albums and EPs. I first saw him live at the KROQ Weenie Roast in 2004, and later on the Odelay and Guero tours. In a couple of months, I’ll be seeing him again at this year’s Coachella festival.
Most people either think that Beck is a band (he’s a solo artist), or they only know him from his radio singles (the aforementioned “Loser”, “Where It’s At”, and “Devil’s Haircut”). With the new album being released next week, I thought I’d throw together this playlist with some of my favorite Beck tracks. This isn’t a greatest hits compilation, it’s just what I consider some of his best material, a playlist that could honestly be completely different if I made it tomorrow, given the hundreds of songs he’s recorded over the last two decades!
The Best Of Beck
1. Cold Brains (from Mutations)
2. Que’ Onda Guero (from Guero)
3. The Golden Age (from Sea Change)
4. Hotwax (from Odelay)
5. Go It Alone (from Guero)
6. Beercan (from Mellow Gold)
7. Bottle of Blues (from Mutations)
8. Mixed Bizness (from Midnite Vultures)
9. I Won’t Be Long (single, 2013)
10. Nobody’s Fault But My Own (from Mutations)
11. Lord Only Knows (from Odelay)
12. Modern Guilt (from Modern Guilt)
13. Soul Suckin’ Jerk (from Mellow Gold)
14. Think I’m In Love (from The Information)
15. Pressure Zone (from Midnite Vultures)